Now I don’t know about y’all, but I love a good crisp. Berries, apples, peaches… I don’t care, they are ALL good. They are a fabulous summer dessert, and even better is that I’ve made this particular beauty healthier than your average crisp so it’s even acceptable breakfast fare. Yep, add a dollop of yoghurt and it’s a delicious summer breakfast!
What better to start your day than tangy tart berries and cherries, crispy maple oats, and creamy yoghurt. Goodness what a combination!
Lately I’ve been finding myself craving fruity desserts and snacks, I’ve been falling into some old habits and I’m not sleeping, and fruit always seems to make me feel better. One might think chocolate would be the go to when you need a pick me up, but for me nothing is better than an apple pie, a peach tart, or something just like this tart berry and cherry crisp. The natural sweetness of the fruit, paired with something crumbly and nutty is just so wholesome and comforting.
Feed this to loved ones, make it for a friend needing a comforting bowl of sweetness with a cup of tea, or bring it along to a pot-luck to share the goodness around. It’s simple, hearty, and delicious.
I adore summer fruits and all the wonderful desserts you can make with them. This lovely crisp is made with cherries, strawberries, blueberries and blackberries, probably some of my favourite summer fruits aside from peaches of course! The crispy crumble on top is a cinammony combination of oats and almond meal, sweetened with beautiful pure Canadian maple syrup. It’s tart and rich, with a sweet crisp top, and gosh darn is it tasty.
Enjoy with a scoop of ice-cream for dessert, just as is, or dress it up with some yoghurt for a fancy breakfast treat! You can also play around with the fruits you add – raspberries, mulberries, peaches… go nuts! It’s hard to screw up something this delicious.
Berry Cherry Crisp
Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cooking Time: 25 Minutes
Makes 1x 8 inch crisp, Serves around 6
For the Filling:
– 5 Cups Mixed Berries and Cherries*, Fresh or Frozen
– 1 Large Lemon
– 1/2 Cup Rice Malt Syrup
– 1/2 Cup Water
– 1 Tablespoon Tapioca Starch
For the Crisp:
– 2 Cups Traditional Rolled Oats
– 1 Cup Almond Meal
– 1/3 Cup Coconut Oil, Melted
– 1/3 Cup Pure Maple Syrup
– 1 Teaspoon Cinnamon
- Pre-heat your oven to 180°C, and pop a medium/large saucepan on the stove top. Set aside your dish of choice – I used an 8 inch enamel pie tin, but you can use anything you like of a similar capacity!
- Throw the berries into the sauce pan, along with the juice and zest of the lemon, the rice malt syrup, and the water. Bring this up to the boil stirring well to combine, and once boiling reduce to a simmer and leave to bubble away for at least 10 minutes whilst you make the topping.
- In a small/medium bowl, combine the oats, almond meal, and cinnamon and mix well. Add in the coconut oil and maple syrup, and mix until well combined. It should be moist but not toooo wet, if so chuck some more oats in until it’s more dough-like (a small handful at a time!), and let it sit to thicken up a bit.
- Once the berries have reduced a tad, take them off the heat and stir in the tapioca starch – this will thicken up the delicious berry juice rather nicely! Pour the berry mixture into your prepared dish, and crumble the topping over the entirety of the dish. The chunkier and more random you crumble it, the better! You’ll get lots more little golden crispy bits that way.
- Pop it in the oven for around 25 minutes, though it may take a tad longer or may even be quicker! You just want the mix bubbling and the top lovely and golden. When it looks fab, take it out and leave it to cool for at least 10 minutes before serving.
However you choose to eat it, I hope you enjoy!!
*The berries/cherries you add are completely up to you! If you love raspberries, throw some in! You can even do this with other fruits too – I love a good peach crisp! (I think I may just have to put one up when peach season is upon us!) You may have to play around with flavours though, depending on the taste of the fruits. Just keep it simple, and you’re guaranteed a beautiful dish of bubbly crispy goodness.